- Title: BRAZIL: Sao Paulo Fashion Week gets underway with environmental themes
- Date: 15th June 2007
- Summary: (L!1) SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (JUNE 13, 2007) (REUTERS) DETAIL OF MAKE-UP KIT VARIOUS OF MODEL GETTING READY FOR PARADE MODELS PUTTING ON MAKE UP VARIOUS OF MODEL POLISHING HER NAILS MORE OF MODEL PHOTOGRAPHER
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2007 13:13
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA57UBUQO4LCJKCYPAPE3WF2SSO
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Sao Paulo's fashion week goes green this year in hopes of raising awareness about the environment. Sao Paulo Fashion Week, Latin America's largest couture event, kicked off on Wednesday (June 13) bringing "green" creations onto the catwalk to promote environmental awareness in Brazil's business capital.
Event organizers announced they will plant three thousand trees in order to neutralise the carbon dioxide emissions of the forty-eight parades taking place this week.
Some 50 designers got in tune with the event and incorporated ecological themes into their spring/summer collections.
One of the top parades of the day was presented by designer Tufi Duek, head of brand Forum, known for its sophisticated outfits and trendy jeans.
Duek followed the trend of retro fashion with high-cut waists and small tops very popular in the seventies and eighties.
Bright colours, large sunglasses, hair bands, big purses and huge platforms took over the catwalk. Some outfits also had photos of famous beach resort towns like Angra dos Reis and Paraty.
Duek compared his collection to an unforgettable weekend at a resort town.
"There are some images of Paraty and Angra's sunset. So it's a mixture of a boat trip and an unforgettable weekend, where the people are going on this unforgettable trip, which is a fantasy that for me is unbelievable," he said after the show.
Designer Oskar Metsavaht, also known for supporting biodiversity projects, sought inspiration in Rio de Janeiro's famous Ipanema neighbourhood, also present in Tom Jobim's legendary song "Girl from Ipanema".
Ipanema beach is Brazil's most trendy area during the summer, where thousands of young surfers wear the widest range of Osklen shorts, which became a national fever a few years ago.
Like Duek, Metsavaht bet on large purses and a lot accessories to make up his summer look.
Lawyer Juliana Procopio, who loves the brand, said she liked the show, but was more impressed with the winter collection.
"I liked the parade very much and some specific pieces, but the winter collection was more interesting," she said.
Fashion editor Paulo Martines was more inspired by what he saw on the catwalk and said he loved the choice of colours and fabrics.
"For me the choice of colours is marvellous, the fabrics incredible as always, the volumes, the voluminous skirts used in a cool manner, very relaxed. The men were impeccable with this new elegance of the wrinkled fabrics," he said.
Sao Paulo Fashion Week ends next Tuesday (June 19).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None