- Title: Palestinian researchers make their own ventilator amid shortage
- Date: 23rd April 2020
- Summary: DEVICE MADE AT AL-QUDS UNIVERSITY
- Embargoed: 7th May 2020 17:54
- Keywords: COVID-19 Palestinians West Bank coronavirus respirator university
- Location: ABU DIS, WEST BANK
- City: ABU DIS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CAPRSXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinian researchers at Al-Quds University in the West Bank unveiled on Thursday (April 23) a computerised model of a ventilator device that could treat coronavirus patients.
The machine was produced and developed by a team of doctors and engineers from the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Engineering.
The team hopes the device will be used to supposed coronavirus patients in intensive care units. Production is said to start after it is approved by the Health Ministry.
The university said it will also start producing 100 ventilators in their labs.
The West Bank only has a total of 215 ventilators, one for every 13,953 people, according to the Health Ministry. Gaza has a total of 93 ventilators for 21,505 people.
Two people have died after contracting the novel coronavirus in the Palestinian territories, including Gaza and West Bank. and nearly 336 cases have been reported.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji, Adel Abu Nehmeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.