- Title: 'Don't come close, coronavirus' - Palestinian sings to raise awareness in Hebron
- Date: 28th April 2020
- Summary: HEBRON, WEST BANK (APRIL 16, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN ARTIST, RAED ALSHYOUKHI, SINGING SONG ABOUT CORONAVIRUS FOR DAUGHTER USING TUNE FOR POPULAR CHILDREN'S SONG AND SAYING (Arabic): "NO CORONA NO, DON'T COME CLOSE" SHYOUKHI CHECKING OWN SONGS ONLINE AS HE SINGS
- Embargoed: 12th May 2020 12:28
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Palestinians Prevention Songs
- Location: HEBRON, WEST BANK
- City: HEBRON, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CBEP179
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Palestinian musician in the occupied West Bank is writing uplifting tunes to help educate his community about the risks of the new coronavirus and encourage them to stay at home.
Raed Al-Shyoukhi has leaned on his 23 years of experience as a theatrical artist to write light and cheerful songs with titles such as "Sitting in my home", which he posts to Youtube multiple times per week.
The 51-year-old even wrote a song dedicated to Ibrahim Melhem, a Palestinian government spokesman who has given near-daily press conferences since the disease first surfaced in Bethlehem last month.
Hebron-based Shyoukhi said he is trying to raise awareness in society about this disease, which he believes many are underestimating.
His songs have garnered hundreds of views on Youtube and won him some local fans, including Nour Al-kadi, who says the songs particularly resonate with his children.
Palestinian officials in the West Bank have imposed strict coronavirus restrictions, confining Palestinians mostly to their homes since the outbreak began.
There have been two deaths and 342 cases of coronavirus in the West Bank, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
(Production: Yosri Al-Jamal, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Rami Ayyub)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.