- Title: Storyteller livestreams for children in Gaza during Ramadan
- Date: 7th May 2020
- Summary: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA (MAY 4, 2020) (REUTERS) PHONE SCREEN SHOWING STORYTELLER FIDA AL-LIDAWI, READING TO HIS DAUGHTER WHILE SITTING ON THE LIVING ROOM COUCH AL-LIDAWI READING TO HIS DAUGHTER ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS / GREEN VIRUS DOLL IN THE FOREGROUND HAND HOLDING BOOK WHILE READING AL-LIDAWI READING TO HIS DAUGHTER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) STORYTELLER, FIDA AL-LIDAWI, SAYING: "We usually create a nice atmosphere during Ramadan. One day before the start of Ramadan, we gather lanterns, drums and verses. I dress like a storyteller and we bring clowns to celebrate the start of the month of Ramadan. This year, everything is different, everyone is under lockdown, no one leaves the house. So I decided to connect with children through online platforms. I filmed myself while reading children's books, and children really enjoyed it."
- Embargoed: 21st May 2020 11:39
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Gaza Ramadan Storyteller
- Location: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- City: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Human-Led Quirky,Human-Led Stories
- Reuters ID: LVA001CCXMLP1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For the past 18 years during Ramadan, Gazan storyteller Fida Al-Lidawi has been gathering children in the alleys of Nusseirat refugee camp to entertain them with stories and songs.
This year, however, lockdown measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus are preventing Al-Lidawi from his cherished outdoor storytelling sessions.
Unwilling to give up and deprive the children of this annual tradition, Al-Lidawi decided to tell his stories online.
He decorated his living room with lanterns and lights to recreate the traditional Ramadan atmosphere. Seated on a couch with his storyteller outfit and a red tarboush, Al-Lidawi records himself as he reads stories to his young daughter Lian.
Many of his stories include educational topics and advice on how to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Al-Lidawi livestreams his storytelling videos on Facebook every other day, and later uploads them on YouTube as well. Al-Lidawi's videos have reached around 660 young viewers under lockdown so far.
The coronavirus has already infected 20 people in Gaza with no fatalities. In the Palestinian territories, 543 cases of infections have been recorded so far, with three deaths.
(Production: Nehad Khalil, Fadi Shana, Mohammad Shana, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None