- Title: Palestinian artist educates children on coronavirus using cartoons
- Date: 14th May 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN ARTIST, NEVEEN ABU SALEEM, SAYING: "When I reached the (border) crossing I was asked to self-quarantine for 14 days at home. I took advantage of this time by drawing cartoons related to the coronavirus. I then shared these on social media, and they gained traction and interest from people, so much so that international associations approached me about my work."
- Embargoed: 28th May 2020 11:59
- Keywords: Art COVID-19 Cartoons Children Education Palestinians
- Location: DEIR AL BALAH, GAZA / INTERNET
- City: DEIR AL BALAH, GAZA / INTERNET
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA003CDWLLJP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Palestinian artist spent her 14-day quarantine with a sketchbook on her lap and a pencil in her hands, creating educational cartoons on how to stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic.
Neveen Abu Saleem was asked to self-quarantine in her home in Gaza's Dier El Balah after returning from a trip to perform the Umrah pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia. She said this time gave her the opportunity to develop her skills and pour her creativity into her sketches and computer animations.
After posting her cartoons on social media, the artist was approached by organisations like the International Committee of the Red Cross, who asked her to create a coronavirus edition of 'Snakes and Ladders' to demonstrate the dangers of the virus and ways in which people can protect themselves.
Abu Saleem has been an artist for 12 years, and spent most of her career creating children's books.
The coronavirus has infected 20 people in Gaza with no fatalities. In the Palestinian territories, 548 cases of infections have been recorded so far, with four deaths.
(Porudction: Mohammad Shana, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None