- Title: Palestinians celebrate Eid al-Fitr amid coronavirus
- Date: 24th May 2020
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MAY 24, 2020) (REUTERS) MOSQUE MINARET, AUDIO OF IMAM CALLING FOR PRAYERS MEN DURING EID PRAYERS VARIOUS OF WOMEN DURING EID PRAYERS PRAYERS IN PROGRESS JERUSALEM (MAY 21, 2020) (REUTERS) DRONE FOOTAGE OF JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY HEBRON, WEST BANK (MAY 24, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS DURING EID PRAYERS GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 24, 2020) (REUTERS) IMAM LEADING EID PRAYERS PRAYERS IN PROGRESS WORSHIPPERS WEARING FACE MASKS DURING PRAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF GAZA, RAED DAHSHAN, SAYING: "We feel a psychological relief because we were able to gather inside the mosque for Eid prayers amid all the protective measures to make us feel the atmosphere of Eid and make our people happy." VARIOUS OF MAN DISTRIBUTING FACE MASKS TO WORSHIPPERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF GAZA, KHALIL DAHSHAN, SAYING: "For the first time and during 14-15 years under siege in the Gaza Strip we are living circumstances like this during Eid. Distances (between worshippers) in prayer, wearing masks and sterilization. It's a difficult climate and we are praying while feeling afraid." VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS WALKING OUT OF MOSQUE MOSQUE, AUDIO OF EID PRAYERS
- Embargoed: 7th June 2020 11:02
- Keywords: Eid Gaza Health Hebron Jerusalem Palestinians Ramadan West Bank coronavirus
- Location: JERUSALEM / HEBRON, WEST BANK, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: JERUSALEM / HEBRON, WEST BANK, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVA002CFAGQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians in Jerusalem and Gaza attended Eid al-Fitr prayers on Sunday (May 24) marking the end of the month of Ramadan amid the coronvirus outbreak.
Prayers were held outside the closed Al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City with little observation of social distancing during prayers.
According to the Council of Islamic Waqf, prayers at the compound are expected to resume after the three-day Muslim holiday of Eid El-Fitr, roughly two months after closing to the general public.
Worshippers in Gaza prayed with masks covering their faces after the authorities allowed mosques to open and hold Eid prayers.
The Palestinian authorities in the West Bank imposed strict coronavirus restrictions, confining Palestinians mostly to their homes from Friday night until Monday night but some worshippers attended prayers in small numbers in the West Bank city of Hebron.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Fadi Shana, Ilan Rosenberg, Yosri Al-Jamal, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None