- Title: Mural of George Floyd painted on West Bank barrier
- Date: 8th June 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (JUNE 7, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MURAL OF GEORGE FLOYD AND A LOCATION PIN READING 'TEXAS HOUSTON' PAINTED ON WEST BANK BARRIER BY ARTIST TAQI ALDDEEN SBATIN WATCH TOWER OF SEPARATION WALL CLOSE TO WHERE THE MURAL IS PAINTED (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) INITIATOR OF MURAL, 27 YEAR OLD MAHMOUD ABIEDALLA, SAYING: "This painting that we put up on the wall has some sort of symbolism that is special to us a Palestinian people under occupation, do you understand me? So the message of this painting and its existence on the wall is a message to the American people, of our solidarity and support of their rights they are demanding, which are against racism." MURAL OF GEORGE FLOYD PAINTED ON WALL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) INITIATOR OF MURAL, 27 YEAR OLD MAHMOUD ABIEDALLA, SAYING: "We paint on the Apartheid wall that we are trapped under, as a message of solidarity with them, and of solidarity with black people who are in the United States, that are oppressed, and where you can see racial discrimination between white and black people." CAR PASSING BY WALL AS 25 YEAR OLD MOHAMMAD MUTAWEE IS STOPPING TO LOOK AT THE MURAL VARIOUS OF MUTAWEE LOOKING AT MURAL PALESTINIAN FLAG FLUTTERING IN THE SKY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PASSER BY, 25 YEAR OLD MOHAMMAD MUTAWEE, SAYING: "Painting this mural on the Apartheid wall, reflects our will to send a message to the American people that we are in solidarity with them and that we are against oppression in all its forms." VIEW OF LENGTH OF WALL SHOWING GEORGE FLOYD MURAL ALONGSIDE VARIOUS OTHER MURALS GEORGE FLOYD MURAL ON WALL
- Embargoed: 22nd June 2020 08:04
- Keywords: Bethlehem George Floyd Mural racism solidarity wall
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CHIDJ5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A mural of George Floyd appeared this week on the West Bank wall in the Palestinian city of Bethlehem.
Floyd, a black American, died in Minneapolis after a white police officer knelt on his neck during an arrest.
The Mural in Bethlehem was painted by 32-year old Artist Taqi Alddeen Sbatin, and was inspired by Mahmoud Abiedalla who owns a souvenir shop right across from the wall.
The Idea came as a message of solidarity and against police brutality and racism, Abiedalla said.
This has been one of many solidarity initiatives taken recently by Palestinians, including protests and candle light vigils, in support of black people.
(Production: Mohammed abu Ganeyeh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Nuha Sharaf, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None