- Title: Army deployed after coronavirus outbreak in village near Naples
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: MONDRAGONE, ITALY (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS (WEARING ARMY PRINT) AND FINANCE POLICE (WEARING BLACK) IN MASKS AND GLOVES OUTSIDE THE ENTRANCE TO A RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX THAT HAS BEEN QUARANTINED AFTER SOME 49 PEOPLE TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE NEW CORONAVIRUS PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE ENTRANCE LOOKING AT THE BUILDINGS SOLDIERS WALKING BY ENTRANCE TO COMPLEX STOP SIGN AND MAKESHIFT FENCE BY ENTRANCE SOLDIERS SEEN THROUGH HOLES IN FENCE FINANCE POLICE STANDING UNDER ARMY GAZEBO VIEW OF COMPLEX, TRAFFIC GOING PAST
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 09:32
- Keywords: Army Italy Mondragone coronavirus outbreak pandemic restriction
- Location: MONDRAGONE, ITALY
- City: MONDRAGONE, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK0C093
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tensions remained high on Friday (June 26) as the Italian army was deployed to the small town of Mondragone after some 49 people tested positive for the new coronavirus in a residential complex.
Soldiers stood at barricades and police checks were in place around the housing complex which lies northwest of Naples. Residents are angered they have been blocked inside with little information about what is happening.
Many of the local community is Bulgarian involved in seasonal fruit picking with little legal documentation, adding to the difficulty for Italian authorities in tracking and testing those who have possibly contracted the coronavirus.
(Production: Ciro de Luca, Cristiano Corvino, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None