- Title: Under chins, on elbows - where do Italians most wear their masks?
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) SPED-UP FOOTAGE OF PEOPLE WALKING DOWN BUSY SHOPPING STREET IN ROME WITH VARIOUS WAYS OF WEARING FACE MASKS HOMELESS WOMAN WITH MASK AROUND NECK TAXI DRIVER WITH MASK HANGING FROM EAR GROUP OF BOYS WEARING MASKS, ONE WITH MASK HANGING FROM EAR, ONE WEARING MASK ON FACE, OTHERS HOLDING MASKS PEOPLE WALKING - MAN WEARING MASK ON ELBOW, WOMAN HOLDING MASK, ELDERLY WOMAN WITH MASK AROUND WRIST WOMAN WEARING MASK / WOMAN WITH MASK HANGING FROM EAR, HOLDING OTHER END OF MASK WITH HAND WEARING GLOVES (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ROME RESIDENT, MATTEO, SAYING (WEARING MASK ON EAR): "It's hot now but as soon as we go inside shops we put on the masks." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ROME RESIDENT, MARIALUISA (HOLDING MASK): "I always wear it (the mask) but now I've taken it off because it felt like a sauna underneath it. I just need some fresh air and then I'll put it on again!" (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ROME RESIDENT, SALVATORE MAZZOTTA, SAYING (HOLDING MASK): "For me, it's (mask) useless, but I will wear it because we have to obey the rules. I have it (shows mask) and I will wear it when possible, when I can breathe!" MOTHER AND SON SWINGING MASKS IN THEIR HANDS WOMAN WITH MASK HANGING FROM EAR / MAN WEARING MASK ON CHIN / MAN WEARING MASK ON FACE FAMILY IN HORSE AND CARRIAGE WITH MASKS UNDER CHINS, DAD WAVES TO CAMERA
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 13:52
- Keywords: COVID-19 Italian style coronavirus face coverings face masks masks
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK0BZGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The heat has suddenly hit Italy and with it a new problem for people to deal with - how do you wear a face mask when it is boiling hot?
After months of being locked up at home to escape the coronavirus pandemic, most people wore masks as they emerged from their homes. But now a new normal is being seen on the streets up and down the country.
The most commonly used is the - 'hang the mask from your ears but hooked under the chin'. This gives the wearer the possibility to quickly pull the mask up in contact with people, whilst allowing them to breathe easily when not in close proximity. A favourite amongst teenagers.
Another common trend - 'hang your mask from your elbow' - you have it if you really need it but you really don't want to put it on.
A nonchalant - 'hanging off one ear' - also commonly used, particularly by taxi drivers who must wear their face coverings when working.
While mask-wearing on the streets is a free for all, post-lockdown rules mean they have to be worn inside shops, bars and restaurants (when you're not eating or drinking) and on public transport.
Luckily these are mostly well-equipped with air con so there's little sweltering underneath the masks.
Outside though, there is no escape from the heat and a very sweaty bottom half of your face for those taking the extra precaution of wearing the mask properly.
Some Italians opt for 'mask breaks' as they walk to try get a bit of fresh air.
"I always wear it but now I've taken it off because it felt a sauna underneath it. I just need some fresh air and then I'll put it on again!" said local Marialuisa.
Others don't think masks are necessary but always have one - literally - on hand, for when they venture inside public establishments.
"For me, it's useless, but I will wear it because we have to obey the rules," said Salvatore Mazzotta.
"I have it and I will wear it when possible, when I can breathe!"
One thing is for sure, Italians are bound to adopt a mask-style that will make them look stylish.
(Production: Cristiano Corvino, Eleanor Biles, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None