- Title: In muted fashion, LGBTQ community to carry on legacy of pride weekend
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 30, 2019) (REUTERS) RAINBOW WINDOW / POLICE SIGN FROM STONEWALL REBELLION READING (English): 'THIS IS A RAIDED PREMISES' RAIDED PREMISES SIGN BAR INTERIOR CHRISTOPHER STREET SIGN / VARIOUS OF VETERAN OF STONEWALL UPRISING, MARK SEGAL, WALKING TO BAR, LOOKING THROUGH WINDOW STONEWALL INN SIGN IN WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) VETERAN OF STONEWALL UPRISING, MARK SEGAL, SAYING: "Standing across the street that night, that little 18-year-old boy who is me, I never thought that I'd be here 50 years later talking about it. We didn't know it was history. We just thought, we knew it had changed. When I stood here in the midst of it all, I remember saying to myself, in just an instance, 'OK, this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life.' I mean it's the counterculture of the 1960s. Black people were fighting for their rights, Latinos were fighting for their rights, women are fighting for their rights. What about us? What about me?" NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VILLAGE VOICE NEWSPAPER REPORT ON 1969 STONEWALL REBELLION
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 14:31
- Keywords: Gay Pride Gay Rights LGBT rights Mark Segal Stonewall Bar Stonewall rebelllion uprising
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA007CK0B5FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: ***WARNING: CONTAINS NUDITY IN SHOT 17***
Floats, all-night parties and parades may be out, but the LGBTQ community is making sure to still commemorate pride weekend.
Last year celebrations marked the 50th anniversary of the uprising at the Stonewall Inn that kicked off the modern gay rights movement.
While the coronavirus epidemic has forced the cancellation of traditional Pride events, U.S. gay groups are using virtual gatherings to amplify the voices of people of color, whose demands for social justice are taking the nation by storm.
Riots at the Stonewall Inn in downtown Manhattan on June 28, 1969, were spearheaded by transgender activists Marsha P. Johnson, who was black, and Latina Sylvia Rivera.
(Production by: Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None