- Title: In muted fashion, LGBTQ community to carry on legacy of pride weekend
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: MEMBERS OF GAY LIBERATION FRONT INCLUDING PARTICIPANT IN STONEWALL REBELLION, MARK SEGAL (BLUE SHIRT)
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 14:31
- Keywords: Gay Pride Gay Rights LGBT rights Mark Segal Stonewall Bar Stonewall rebelllion uprising
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005CK0B5FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: ***WARNING: CONTAINS NUDITY IN SHOT 17***
Floats, all-night parties and parades may be out, but the LGBTQ community is making sure to still commemorate pride weekend.
Last year celebrations marked the 50th anniversary of the uprising at the Stonewall Inn that kicked off the modern gay rights movement.
While the coronavirus epidemic has forced the cancellation of traditional Pride events, U.S. gay groups are using virtual gatherings to amplify the voices of people of color, whose demands for social justice are taking the nation by storm.
Riots at the Stonewall Inn in downtown Manhattan on June 28, 1969, were spearheaded by transgender activists Marsha P. Johnson, who was black, and Latina Sylvia Rivera.
(Production by: Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None