- Title: Drug cartel blamed for attempted killing of Mexico City police chief
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEXICO CITY CHIEF OF POLICE OMAR GARCIA HARFUCH SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 17:12
- Keywords: Mexico City Omar Garcia Harfuchnds as he and bodyguards came under heavy fire in an upscale Mexico City neighborhood just before dawn. bodyguards chief of police dramatic assassination powerful drug gangs shot and injured the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG)
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA004CK0CWNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mexico City's chief of police was shot and wounded and two of his bodyguards killed in an assassination attempt early on Friday (June 26) that he quickly blamed on one of Mexico's most powerful drug gangs, the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).
Omar Garcia Harfuch suffered three bullet wounds as he and his bodyguards came under heavy fire in an upscale Mexico City neighborhood just before dawn.
Some three hours later, apparently from his hospital bed, Garcia on Twitter blamed his injuries and the death of two bodyguards on a "cowardly attack" by the CJNG, a gang renowned as one of the most violent in the country. A third person, a woman apparently on her way to work, was also killed in the gunfire, city authorities said.
Security camera footage shown on Mexican television showed a group of armed men getting off the back of a truck as well separate images of police moving towards heavy gunfire.
Television footage of what was apparently Garcia's armored SUV showed a vehicle riddled with bullets and roped off by police.
Ernestina Godoy, attorney general of Mexico City, said 12 people had been arrested over the attack.
Residents said heavy gunfire rang out for several minutes during the attack in Lomas de Chapultepec, which is home to many wealthy people and the location of ambassadorial residences.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None