- Title: Baby gorilla born in Antwerp zoo
- Date: 25th June 2020
- Summary: ANTWERP, BELGIUM (JUNE 25, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GORILLA MOTHER MEMBELE HOLDING HER NEW-BORN BABY VARIOUS OF GORILLA MOTHER MEMBELE BREAST-FEEDING HER BABY VARIOUS OF BABY GORILLA IN MOTHER'S ARMS YOUNG GORILLA INTERACTING WITH MOTHER AND CHILD (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREAT APE KEEPER, YORAN JOCHEMS, SAYING: "So yesterday, on the 24th of June, our baby gorilla was born. Everything went very well, the mother does a very good job, she's protecting the baby, taking care of it, and the rest of the group of the gorillas are very calm, so everything goes very well." MEMBELE WITH HER BABY IN OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE ANOTHER GORILLA MEMBELE HOLDING HER BABY
- Embargoed: 9th July 2020 16:59
- Keywords: Antwerpen Gorilla Great Ape endangered species zoo
- Location: ANTWERP, BELGIUM
- City: ANTWERP, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife
- Reuters ID: LVA001CJVD3YX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Belgian zoo of Antwerp showed off its one-day-old baby gorilla to the public on Thursday (June 25).
The baby gorilla, whose gender is not yet known, was seen suckling its mother Mambele who held on to it protectively.
Antwerp zoo said it has coordinated scientific research on apes in Cameroon and Congo for 18 years.
It is the second time that a Western Lowland gorilla is born to the zoo. The first was born in November 2018 and is now one and a half years old.
Western Lowland gorillas are critically endangered in the wild with a decreasing population, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List. In 25 years, their population in nature has fallen by 60 percent due to poaching, hunting and diseases, according to the zoo.
(Production: Yves Herman, Clement Rossignol, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None