- Title: Mexico stepping up security for officials after assassination attempt
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE AT SCENE OF ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT POLICE STANDING GUARD INVESTIGATOR AT SCENE POLICE AND JOURNALISTS BEHIND CAUTION TAPE POLICE CAR
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 22:23
- Keywords: Jalisco New Generation Cartel Mexico Omar Garcia Harfuch cartel drugs gang official security violence
- Location: MEXICO CITY & MORELIA, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY & MORELIA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK0DETJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Mexico's Secretary of Security and Citizen Protection told a news conference on Thursday (June 26) that some Mexican officials have recently receive threats and their security would be reinforced after the attempted assassination of Mexico City's police chief earlier in the day.
Secretary Alfonso Durazo also told journalists the assertion by Mexico City's police chief Omar Garcia Harfuch that the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) was responsible for the effort to kill him was "one of the hypotheses" being investigated.
Harfuch suffered three bullet wounds as he and bodyguards came under heavy fire around dawn in an upscale Mexico City neighborhood.
Some three hours later, apparently from his hospital bed, Garcia sent out a message on Twitter blaming his injuries and the death of two bodyguards on a "cowardly attack" by the CJNG, a gang notorious as one of the most violent in Mexico.
A 26-year-old woman traveling in a car with relatives to sell street food nearby was also killed in the gunfire that ripped through the Lomas de Chapultepec neighborhood. The area is home to many wealthy people and has ambassadorial residences.
Led by a former police officer and based in the western state of Jalisco, the CJNG has been blamed for fueling record levels of violence in Mexico during its battles to eliminate rivals for control of drug trafficking and crime rackets.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Patrick Alwine)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None