- Title: Sochi's beaches and ski slopes open up after easing of virus restrictions
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BEACH BLUE FLAG AWARD CEREMONY AUDIENCE
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 12:02
- Keywords: COVID-19 Krasnodar Russia Sochi beaches coronavirus ski slopes
- Location: SOCHI AND KRASNAYA POLYANA, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI AND KRASNAYA POLYANA, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CK5B22V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian tourists flocked to ski resort Krasnaya Polyana and the Olympic city of Sochi on the Black Sea following the lifting of coronavirus restrictions on June 21.
Quarantine was imposed in the region at the end of March to curb the spread of the virus.
People could be seen playing in the sea and making the most of the remaining snow on the slopes at the Roza Khutor mountain resort this week.
"Our guests aren't afraid of the virus. They want to go to the sea to relax, they want to raise their spirits, which probably improves their immunity," beach manager Kristina Vekselberg said.
With Russia's borders remaining closed over the coronavirus pandemic, Russians have no option but to travel domestically.
"We decided to travel a bit around Russia and see its beauty," Egor, a tourist from the Urals city of Yekaterinburg, said.
Russia on Saturday (June 27) reported 6,852 new coronavirus cases, a figure that keeps the daily rise below 7,000 for a second day in a row for the first time since late April. The new cases take the cumulative nationwide tally to 627,646.
The country's coronavirus response centre said 188 people had died of the virus in the last 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 8,969.
(Production: Kazbek Basaev, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.