- Title: Protesters march against gender and race discrimination in London
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 27, 2020) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERED AROUND STATUE OF FORMER BRITISH PRIME MINISTER WINSTON CHURCHILL/ PROTESTERS CHANTING, SIGN READING (English): "BLACK TRANS LIVES MATTER" VARIOUS OF CROWD OF PROTESTERS GATHERING, HOLDING SIGNS AND PLACARDS PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CHANTING PROTESTER DRESSED IN PROTECTIVE SUIT CLAPPING AND TAKING A KNEE AS PROTESTERS MARCH BY POLICE OFFICERS STANDING BEHIND BARRIER BLOCKING ROAD
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 16:39
- Keywords: Black Lives Matter protest Black Trans Lives Matter COVID-19 George Floyd LGBTQ+ Transgender civil rights protest protest London
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Race Relations / Ethnic Issues,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK5AYX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of protesters, wearing colourful face masks and holding banners, gathered in London on Saturday (June 27) in a show of support for the Black Trans Lives Matter movement.
Inspired by the wave of black-led protests that have swept the world since the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody back in May, demonstrators marched through the English capital to draw attention to discrimination against transgender people and the black community.
The march takes place on the same day as Pride, which has seen a number of pared-down parades. Many marches have been called off due to coronavirus curbs banning mass gatherings.
Pride marches around the world are drawing attention to the pressures faced by the LGBT+ community under lockdowns imposed to stem the spread of COVID-19, with an increase in reports of mental health problems and domestic abuse.
(Production: Toby Melville, Michael Fiorentino, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None