- Title: Serbians queue for tests as coronavirus cases rise
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: BELGRADE, SERBIA (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WAITING IN FRONT OF CLINIC FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASES TO GET TESTED FOR CORONAVIRUS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING MASKS SITTING AND WAITING CLINIC STAFF IN PROTECTIVE SUITS SPEAKING TO PERSON WAITING FOR TEST AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT CLINIC CLINIC STAFF IN PROTECTIVE SUITS HELPING PATIENT OUT OF AMBULANCE MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF WRITING ON PAPER, PEOPLE STANDING NEARBY MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR TAKING TWO MEN TO ENTRANCE PEOPLE QUEUING OUTSIDE CLINIC (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) BELGRADE RESIDENT, MILOVAN JOVANCIC, SAYING: "People did not take care of themselves, they were acting the same way in the bus and everywhere else without masks, protection, anything, they were kissing, hugging, loving each other and so on. And then, you have heard about (Novak) Djokovic, the whole story, it is all connected, as one (person) is enough for the virus to advance." (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) BELGRADE RESIDENT, DJORDJE MARKOVIC, SAYING: "But I think that in general our government, did well with these protective measures and all that, but simply, the people did not comprehend it well and that is a major problem. I see many people are not wearing masks, gloves, no one uses disinfectants, in buses, they are sitting wherever they want, they are entering (buses) as they please. Really, it is on the people, the problem is largely due to the people." (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) BELGRADE RESIDENT, JOVANKA (SURNAME UNKNOWN), SAYING: "We are afraid, surely we are afraid. But what do we do? It is as it is, we cannot avoid this, and that's it. We are adhering to all measures, gloves, masks, that's about it." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING TO GET TESTED MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF TAKING SWAB FROM MAN SAMPLES IN TEST TUBES MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF TAKING SWAB FROM MAN VARIOUS OF CLINIC STAFF TAKING BLOOD SAMPLE FROM WOMAN VARIOUS OF MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF SPRAYING AMBULANCE WITH DISINFECTANT MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF SPRAYING MAN WITH DISINFECTANT
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 15:05
- Keywords: COVID-19 Serbia coronavirus coronavirus testing rise in cases
- Location: BELGRADE, SERBIA
- City: BELGRADE, SERBIA
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK0C46X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Belgrade residents queued to get tested at an infectious diseases clinic in the Serbian capital on Friday (June 26) as the country registered a rise in confirmed cases of coronavirus.
People waiting said not enough precautions were being taken after the end of the country's state of emergency last month.
The Serbian government also said it would again dedicate some general hospitals to treating only COVID-19 patients.
Neighbouring Montenegro, also facing an increase in new cases, has reintroduced some restrictions including a ban on sports events and outdoor political gatherings.
The moves follow Croatia's announcement on Wednesday (June 24) re-imposing a 14-day quarantine for visitors from Bosnia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia.
Serbia, which has a population of 7.2 million, recorded 193 new infections on Friday, up from 137 on Thursday (June 25). The total number of recorded cases in the Balkan country stands at more than 13,000 with 267 deaths, according to a Reuters tally.
(Production: Fedja Grulovic, Lewis Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None