- Title: Hundreds in Berlin rally against racial injustice
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: WOMAN ON STAGE SINGING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS POLICE VANS POLICE OFFICERS MOVING BARRIERS
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 13:02
- Keywords: Black Lives Matter George Floyd demonstration police brutality protest racism solidarity
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Race Relations / Ethnic Issues,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003CK59AVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people in the German capital Berlin rallied against racial injustice on Saturday (June 27).
Organisers said the protest was held in honour of George Floyd, a Black man killed in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25. His death sparked a wave of protests in the U.S. and beyond - including one in Berlin on June 6 which attracted upwards of 5,000 people.
On Saturday, one protester addressing the crowd said she wanted to draw attention to racism and violence against people of colour across Europe.
Protesters stood on markers on the ground to maintain distance from one another and wore face masks due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Berlin's official Black Lives Matter group distanced itself from the protest, saying it was not organizing any physical demonstrations because of the risk of COVID-19.
The protest fell on the same day as a Gay Pride parade in the city, as temperatures topped 30 degrees Celsius.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.