- Title: France to hold second round of municipal elections after lockdown delay
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 27, 2020) (REUTERS) CANDIDATES' POSTERS POSTER OF MAYORAL CANDIDATE FOR 15TH DISTRICT, WITH PARIS MAYOR CANDIDATE FROM PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON'S CENTRIST PARTY LA REPUBLIQUE EN MARCHE (LREM), AGNES BUZYN
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 10:44
- Keywords: Paris mayor coronavirus health municipal elections safety security measures voting precincts
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA004CK59IRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED WITH THE FOLLOWING ANALYSIS PIECES: 5057-FRANCE-ELECTION/PREVIEW / 5107-FRANCE-ELECTION/ANALYST/ 4157-FRANCE-ELECTION/MACRON
Ballot boxes for the second round of France's municipal elections have been gathering dust in town halls, as the coronavirus lockdown forced the government to delay the poll by three months.
The vote will finally be held on Sunday (June 28), with 157,632 candidates vying for mayoral and councillor posts in nearly 5,000 municipalities where officials were not elected in the first round.
In Paris, the city hall distributed sanitary kits with alcohol gel, masks and wipes to 872 voting precincts.
Voters will be required to wear masks and floor markings will help them observe one-metre social distancing.
French President Emmanuel Macron was criticised for pushing through with the first round of voting on March 15, just as the country was about to enter a lockdown. Some voters found the move paradoxical in light of draconian measures such as shutting schools, museums and theaters.
A high abstention rate is expected for Sunday's vote. An IFOP poll from June 12 found that only 38% of voters would head to the polls. The first round had a 44% participation rate.
(Production: Michaela Cabrera, Melodie Sforza, Antony Paone)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.