- Title: Paris Musee D'Orsay reopens to a masked public, expects loss in revenue
- Date: 23rd June 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF VISITORS QUEUING TO ENTER THE MUSEUM WITH THEIR TICKETS SIGN READING MUSEE D'ORSAY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT ENTRANCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) ORSAY MUSEUM PRESIDENT, LAURENCE DES CARS, SAYING: â€œOur first emotion is joy (with the re-opening) for our teams to welcome our public again. And you can see this morning, there are lots of people. People have used our online system to book tickets, who must wear a mask for the duration of their visit; these are the two small constraints that we are imposing on them, to enjoy the museum visit in extraordinary conditions.â€ MUSEE D'ORSAY DIRECTOR IN CHARGE OF GUILLAUME BLANC SPEAKING VARIOUS OF MUSEUM WORKER CLEANING AUDIOGUIDE VISITORS ARRIVING VARIOUS OF VISITORS VISITOR WATCHING PAINTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) ORSAY MUSEUM DIRECTOR IN CHARGE OF THE PUBLIC, GUILLAUME BLANC, SAYING: â€œWe have succeeded to maintain our cultural program and that is really important. But we will have for sure a lot of dialogue with the Minister of Culture and Budget to see how we can deal with our revenue shortfall linked to ticket selling. We will have for sure to defer some construction works project. So yes we will have to make some decisions in the following weeks and months for sure.â€ 80 YEARS-OLD, PARISIAN, YVETTE VISITING THE EXHIBITION (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARISIAN, YVETTE, 80, SAYING: â€œI was happy and emotional (learning about re-opening), the proof is that Iâ€™m here on the first day of opening. I booked my ticket as soon as I learned about it.â€ 67 YEARS-OLD PARISIAN SUZANNE CHAMBRE (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARISIAN SUZANNE CHAMBRE, 67, SAYING: â€œIt is perfect, there aren't too many people. They have organized it well. What I lament is the mandatory mask as it is very hot underneath, but we are all ready to make that effort to enjoy the exhibition here at the Musee d'Orsay but also elsewhere.â€
- Embargoed: 7th July 2020 15:35
- Keywords: COVID-19 Musee d'Orsay Paris museum
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA003CJLCUVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Following more than three months of closure, Musee d'Orsay, considered to have one of the world's best collection of Impressionist art, re-opened to public on Tuesday (June 23) after the COVID-19 lockdown.
There were new rules in place: visitors had to wear masks at all times inside the museum and online reservation is mandatory.
Usually the museum can host 15,000 people during summer per day but this year, the figure will only reach 5,000 maximum per day this summer, to make sure social distancing is in place.
The museum expects a financial loss from the drop in tickets sold, as 70 percent of visitors are usually tourists from overseas.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Emilie Delwarde)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None