- Title: Macron votes in municipal elections set to give him a harsh reality check
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: LE TOUQUET-PARIS-PLAGE, FRANCE (JUNE 28, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) MACRON GOING DOWN STEPS MACRON GREETING CROWDS, SAYING (French): "You shouldn't be too close to each other. Are you well? Hello everyone. Have a good Sunday! How are you?" MACRON GREETING CROWDS CROWD OUTSIDE TOWN HALL MACRON WAVING AND GETTING INTO CAR, WAVING TO CROWDS/ BRIGITTE MACRON GETTING INTO CAR CAR LEAVING
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 12:49
- Keywords: France Macron voting
- Location: LE TOUQUET-PARIS-PLAGE, FRANCE
- City: LE TOUQUET-PARIS-PLAGE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003CKA9XL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS NOTE: EDITS 5107-FRANCE-ELECTION/ANALYST / 5057-FRANCE-ELECTION/PREVIEW/ 4157-FRANCE-ELECTION/MACRON CONTAINS PROFILES OF PARIS MAYORAL CANDIDATES AND ANALYST'S SOUNDBITES
French President Emmanuel Macron voted in Le Touquet-Paris-Plage, his municipality in France on Sunday (June 28) in a delayed second round of country-wide municipal elections.
The vote is a mid-term test for Macron and his ruling party which could fail to win a single big city.
A year ago Macron had hoped the local elections would help anchor his young party in towns and cities across France, including Paris, ahead of an anticipated 2022 re-election bid. But more recently, presidential aides have been playing down expectations.
Macron's first pick for Paris quit over a sex tape scandal, leaving the president's former health minister to jump in a month before the first round.
Paris is unlikely to be the only disappointment for Macron. The Greens are projected to do well in cities such as Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux, sometimes in alliance with the Left, building on momentum they created in 2019's European elections. In Perpignan, Marine Le Pen's far-right party may take control of its first city with a population more than 100,000.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None