- Title: Polls close in Paris after low turnout in municipal election
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 28, 2020) (REUTERS) BOX CONTAINING BALLOTS BEING CARRIED ONTO TABLE VARIOUS OF ENVELOPES CONTAINING VOTES BEING STACKED VARIOUS OF STAFF TAKING OUT BALLOTS FROM ENVELOPES AND STACKING THEM ACCORDING TO CANDIDATES POLLING STATION BEING DISMANTLED DISINFECTANT GEL POLLING STATION BEING DISMANTLED
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 19:45
- Keywords: Paris municipal election polls close
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKAA1JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ballots were counted in Paris as polls closed for the municipal election in France on Sunday (June 28), where incumbent mayor, Socialist Anne Hidalgo, is expected to win.
People turned out in low numbers and wearing face masks to vote in the delayed second round of municipal elections, a mid-term test for President Emmanuel Macron and his ruling party which could fail to win a single big city.
Polling stations were equipped with alcohol gel and masks, and voters were required to observe social distancing. Participation rate was at 34.67% as of 5:00 p.m (1500GMT), compared to about 52.36% in the last municipal elections in 2014.
A year ago Macron had hoped the local elections would help anchor his young party in towns and cities across France, including Paris, ahead of an anticipated 2022 re-election bid. But more recently, presidential aides have been playing down expectations.
In the capital, the election's biggest prize, the sitting socialist mayor Hidalgo is on track for a comfortable win after a shambolic campaign by Macron and his La Republique en Marche (LaRem) party, even as some voters played down the role of Macron's backing of the candidates.
(Production: Antony Paone, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None