- Title: Far-right to win southern French town of Perpignan - exit poll
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: PERPIGNAN, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 10, 2020) (REUTERS) CAMPAIGN POSTER FOR ALIOT
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 20:37
- Keywords: Marine Le Pen Perpignan Rassemblement National far-right
- Location: GRAPHICS/ PERPIGNAN AND PARIS, FRANCE
- City: GRAPHICS/ PERPIGNAN AND PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003CKAA3WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's far-right National Rally will win the southern French city of Perpignan in Sunday's (June 28) municipal elections, an Ifop-Fiducial exit poll projected.
If confirmed, it would be the first time Marine Le Pen's party has won a city of more than 100,000 people.
Louis Aliot, Le Pen's former partner, was seen winning the runoff with 54 percent of the vote versus 46 percent for the sitting conservative mayor, Jean-Marc Pujol, the exit poll showed.
It is a tiny share of France's 36,000 municipalities. But running a town like Perpignan might help far-right leader Marine Le Pen convince voters the populist party, widely viewed as racist and xenophobic under her father's leadership, can be trusted in power.
(Production: Michaela Cabrera, Yonathan Van der Voort)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.