- Title: World saw India's commitment to protecting its borders: Modi
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: LUDHIANA, PUNJAB, INDIA (JUNE 28, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LISTENING TO RADIO PROGRAM
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 09:22
- Keywords: All India Radio China Galwan Valleys India Mann Ki Baat Narendra Modi Prime Minister Radio Program
- Location: LUDHIANA, PUNJAB/PATNA, BIHAR/ RANCHI, JHARKHAND/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: LUDHIANA, PUNJAB/PATNA, BIHAR/ RANCHI, JHARKHAND/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007CKAA7V3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The world has seen India's commitment to protecting its borders and sovereignty, said Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his radio program on Sunday (June 28), following a deadly clash with China last week.
During a clash in the Galwan Valley on June 15, soldiers from both sides beat each other with rocks and wooden sticks embedded with nails. However, both sides have observed a long-held protocol to avoid using firearms on the sensitive, high altitude frontier.
In the event, India lost 20 of its soldiers and injured a couple of others, however, China didn't release its death toll.
Modi added in his radio program, "Those who dared us in Ladakh were given a befitting reply."
Troops from the nuclear-armed neighbours have been facing-off in several areas in the Ladakh region in the western Himalayas since last month, and the clash in the Galwan valley last week was the deadliest in more than five decades.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None