- Title: 12 detained in Mexico City police chief assassination attempt
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE AND INVESTIGATORS ON STREET NEAR SCENE OF ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT VARIOUS, INVESTIGATORS AND VEHICLES BEHIND CAUTION TAPE AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 01:41
- Keywords: Jalisco New Generation Cartel Mexico City Omar Garcia Harfuch assassination cartel drug gang hit murder narco police chief shootout
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CK0DP3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PART FILMED IN PORTRAIT
Mexico City's attorney general's office said 12 suspects were arrested in connection with the assassination attempt on the capital's police chief on Friday (June 26).
Ulises Lara Lopez, the office's spokesperson, said 11 of the suspects are from various states in Mexico and one is a Colombian.
Mexico City's chief of police Omar Garcia Harfuch suffered three bullet wounds and two of his bodyguards were killed in the dramatic assassination attempt early on Friday that he quickly blamed on one of Mexico's most powerful drug gangs, the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).
A 26-year-old woman traveling in a car with relatives to sell street food nearby was also killed in the gunfire that ripped through the Lomas de Chapultepec neighborhood. The area is home to many wealthy people and has ambassadorial residences.
Led by a former police officer and based in the western state of Jalisco, the CJNG has been blamed for fueling record levels of violence in Mexico during its battles to eliminate rivals for control of drug trafficking and crime rackets.
(Production: Roberto Ramirez, Patrick Alwine)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None