- Title: Seven dead in Pakistan stock exchange attack
- Date: 29th June 2020
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (JUNE 29, 2020) (REUTERS) SECURITY PERSONNEL ON CELL PHONE VARIOUS OF POLICE AT ATTACK SITE VARIOUS OF INVESTIGATORS COLLECTING EVIDENCE / EXAMINING CAR DAMAGED DURING ATTACK VARIOUS OF POLICE WALKING AWAY SHOES, CLOTHES ON GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) VICE PRESIDENT OF PAKISTAN STOCK EXCHANGE, AHMED CHINOY, SAYING: "Four terrorists tried to enter the Stock Exchange. Two of them were killed at the main gate on the road. Another one was killed at the next gate. The fourth terrorist was killed when he tried to enter through the gate in the main building. I believe the law enforcement agencies have done a great job. They did not allow the terrorists to come inside, and finished them off at the gates. Two security guards of the Stock Exchange have been martyred. Two are seriously injured." VARIOUS OF RANGERS OFFICIALS ARRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL, KARACHI POLICE, SHARJEEL KHARAL, SAYING: "Everything has been cleared. Teams of Rangers, (the) Special Branch and Bomb Disposal Squad have cleared up everything. We have secured all the evidence. The car is being examined. As soon as we get more details, we will share them with you." POLICE CORDON AROUND ATTACK SITE (SOUNDBITE) (English/Urdu) MEMBER OF PAKISTAN STOCK EXCHANGE, SALMAN LODHI, SAYING: "Thank God, a huge disaster could have occurred, which has been averted. Life is normal. Markets are open. Everything is normal. There is no need for any concern. We are totally relaxed. Our own security, police enforcement and agencies together have averted a huge casualty (toll) today." POLICE VAN INVESTIGATORS SEATED INSIDE POLICE VAN EXTERIOR OF PAKISTAN STOCK EXCHANGE BUILDING
- Embargoed: 13th July 2020 11:10
- Keywords: Karachi Pakistan Pakistani Stock Exchange attack gunmen
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKF8MRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Gunmen attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange building in the city of Karachi on Monday (June 29) killing two guards and a policeman before security forces killed all four of the attackers, police said.
Separatist insurgents from Balochistan province - the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) - claimed responsibility in a post on Twitter but Reuters was not able to verify the authenticity of the claim and spokesmen for the group were not available for comment.
Police said the attackers pulled up in a silver Corolla car, threw a grenade at security men posted outside the compound then opened fire on a security post. The four were killed when security forces posted there responded. Their car was abandoned where they left it. A counter-terrorism official told Reuters the attackers were carrying significant quantities of ammunition and grenades in backpacks.
The BLA claimed responsibility in a brief message on a Twitter account set up shortly before the raid, describing it as a "self-sacrificing" attack carried out by its Majeed brigade. The account was suspended a short time after the attack.
Separatists have been fighting for years in resource-rich Balochistan, complaining the southwestern province's gas and mineral wealth is unfairly exploited by Pakistan's richer, more powerful provinces.
The Pakistan Stock Exchange did not suspend trading during the attack. Its main KSE-100 index dropped 220 points but it later recovered and was 200 points higher at 0830 GMT.
Islamist militants have also launched attacks in Karachi and elsewhere in Pakistan over the years but their violence has become less frequent after military operations against various factions in strongholds on the Afghan border.
(Production: Waseem Sattar, Salahuddin, Sheree Sardar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None