- Title: Bangladesh ferry accident kills at least 23
- Date: 29th June 2020
- Summary: DHAKA, BANGLADESH (JUNE 29, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRE AND RESCUE OFFICIALS STANDING ON BOAT WITH BODY BAGS ON BURIGANGA RIVER AT DHAKA'S MAIN RIVER PORT, SADARGHAT POLICE OFFICER SPEAKING TO OTHER OFFICERS ON SCENE FIRE AND RESCUE OFFICIALS LOOKING ON FIRE AND RESCUE OFFICIALS ON BOAT WITH BODY BAGS RED CRESCENT VOLUNTEER TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO GATHER NEAR THE BOAT VARIOUS OF FIRE AND RESCUE OFFICIALS ON BOAT WITH BODY BAGS (SOUNDBITE)(Bengali) FIRE BRIGADE VOLUNTEER, MONIRUZZAMAN RIFAT, SAYING: "Our search operation is still going on - our rescue team, divers are working. Until now we have recovered 25 bodies and very soon we will unload those bodies on the bank." BOAT WITH BODY BAGS (SOUNDBITE)(Bengali) RELATIVE OF VICTIM, MONIR HOSSAIN, SAYING: "He is my younger brother. Everyday he comes to Dhaka with this ferry but today this has happened. I want to see his body - please you all, help me. I just want to see the body." RED CRESCENT VOLUNTEERS WEARING PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT SUITS MAN SPEAKING ON MOBILE PHONE MAN SPEAKING, BEING SUPPORTED BY ANOTHER MAN FIRE VOLUNTEERS AND OTHER OFFICIALS STANDING BODY BAGS ON BOAT (SOUNDBITE)(Bengali) RELATIVE OF VICTIM, MARUF TALUKDER, SAYING: "My brother, an employee of the Jamuna bank, who came in the morning with this launch (small ferry). He is missing." BODY BAGS ON BOAT
- Embargoed: 13th July 2020 09:56
- Keywords: Bangladesh
- Location: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- City: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Sea Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKF8NK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 23 ferry passengers were killed in the Bangladesh capital Dhaka on Monday (June 29) when the vessel sank after a collision, officials said.
The boat had around 50 passengers aboard when it capsized in the Buriganga river that runs along southwest Dhaka, a fire service official told Reuters.
The dead include six women and three children, he added.
Some passengers swam ashore to safety but some were missing.
"He is my younger brother. Everyday he comes to Dhaka with this ferry but today this has happened. I want to see his body - please you all, help me. I just want to see the body," said relative of victim Monir Hossain.
Hundreds of people die each year in ferry accidents in Bangladesh, a low-lying country that has extensive inland waterways but slack safety standards.
(Production: Rafiqur Rahman)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None