- Title: Taiwan opposition occupies parliament to protest government 'tyranny'
- Date: 29th June 2020
- Summary: TAIPEI, TAIWAN (JUNE 29, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING:CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF LAWMAKERS FROM KUOMINTANG OCCUPYING PARLIAMENT CHAIRS PILED UP BLOCKING ENTRY VARIOUS OF MEMBERS FROM KUOMINTANG IN PARLIAMENT ENTRY BEING BLOCKED / KUOMINTANG MEMBERS / SECURITY CAMS ON WALL GUARDS STANDING BESIDE LOCKED DOOR LOCKED DOOR BY CHAINS GUARDS AT ENTRANCE TO PARLIAMENT / JOURNALISTS
- Embargoed: 13th July 2020 05:12
- Keywords: President Tsai Ing-wen Taipei Taiwan parliament protest the Kuomintang (KMT)
- Location: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- City: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKF8H8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A group of more than 20 lawmakers from Taiwan's main opposition party the Kuomintang (KMT) occupied the legislature overnight on Monday (June 29) to protest government "tyranny" and the president's nomination of a close aide to a high-level watchdog.
The KMT, trounced in January's parliamentary and presidential elections, began their protest in parliament late Sunday (June 28) and remained there overnight into Monday, blocking entry to the main chamber with chains and chairs.
The KMT said it was protesting the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and President Tsai Ing-wen's forcing though of bills and Tsai's nomination of her senior aide Chen Chu to head the Control Yuan, a government watchdog.
"This year, the Tsai administration has become more tyrannical than before," the KMT said in a statement. "Tsai's obstinacy had left the KMT with no alternative but to occupy the Legislative Yuan for a parliamentary boycott." In the meanwhile, both the DPP and presidential office have condemned the action, saying the KMT was orchestrating a "farce".
(Production: Ann Wang, Irene Wang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None