- Title: EU sets 'safe' travel list, excluding United States
- Date: 30th June 2020
- Summary: ZAVENTEM, BELGIUM (FILE - MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE IN BRUSSELS AIRPORT DEPARTURE HALL STANDING BELOW FLIGHT SCHEDULE BOARDS VARIOUS OF BOARD SHOWING THAT FLIGHT TO CHICAGO HAS BEEN DELAYED
- Embargoed: 14th July 2020 15:14
- Keywords: COVID-19 China EU European Union Russia United States coronavirus safe list travel
- Location: INTERNET / ZAVENTEM AND BRUSELS, BELGIUM / MADRID, SPAIN / ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- City: INTERNET / ZAVENTEM AND BRUSELS, BELGIUM / MADRID, SPAIN / ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKKC5S7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union has excluded the United States from its initial "safe list" of countries from which the bloc will allow non-essential travel from Wednesday (July 1).
The 27-member bloc gave approval on Tuesday (June 30) to leisure or business travel from 14 countries beyond its borders, the Council of the EU, which represents EU governments, said in a statement.
The countries are Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay.
China has also been provisionally approved, although travel would only open up if Chinese authorities also allowed in EU visitors. Reciprocity is a condition of being on the list.
Russia, Brazil and Turkey, along with the United States, are among countries whose containment of the virus is considered worse than that of the EU average and so will have to wait at least two weeks. The bloc will carry out fortnightly reviews.
The move is aimed at supporting the EU travel industry and tourist destinations, particularly countries in southern Europe hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
It acts as a recommendation to EU members, meaning they could potentially set restrictions on those entering from the 14 nations and will almost certainly not allow access to travellers from other countries.
(Production Hortense de Roffignac)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None