- Title: "We cannot stop our revolution": Sudanese protesters demand faster reform
- Date: 30th June 2020
- Summary: PROTESTER SPRAYING DISINFECTANT / MUSIC PLAYING IN BACKGROUND PROTESTERS ON TRUCK WHILE MUSIC PLAYS
- Embargoed: 14th July 2020 19:57
- Keywords: Sudan anniversary demands politics protests revolution
- Location: KHARTOUM, SUDAN
- City: KHARTOUM, SUDAN
- Country: Sudan
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003CKKCVUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands demonstrated on Tuesday (June 30) in Sudanese cities despite a coronavirus lockdown to demand greater civilian rule in the transition towards democracy after the ouster of veteran strongman Omar al-Bashir last year.
Waving Sudanese flags, protesters gathered in Khartoum and its twin cities Khartoum North and Omdurman after the government closed roads and bridges leading to the centre of the capital.
Similar protests also took place in Kassala in eastern Sudan and in the restive region of Darfur. They chanted "freedom, peace and justice", the slogan of the anti-Bashir movement. Some protesters blocked streets with burning tyres.
Premier Abdalla Hamdok, a technocrat, governs the country in awkward tandem with the long dominant military that helped remove Bashir after mass protests against his 30-year autocracy.
An opposition coalition agreed to joint governance with the military in a two-year transition towards free elections but key parts of the deal have not been implemented, such as appointing civilian state governors and establishing a parliament.
The crisis has been compounded by the coronavirus pandemic, which has diverted the resources of many donors.
(Production: El Tayeb Siddiq, Seham Eloraby, Marissa Davison, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.