- Title: Britain locks down city of Leicester after COVID-19 flare-up
- Date: 30th June 2020
- Summary: LEICESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 30, 2020) (REUTERS) CLOCKTOWER IN LEICESTER CITY CENTRE PEOPLE AT BUS STOP WOMAN WALKING WITH CHILD VARIOUS OF SHUTTERED SHOP WOMAN WITH MASK AT BUS STOP SHUTTERED SHOPS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING WITH MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (English) BANK MANAGER, BOB SHARMA, SAYING: "Well, is what it is, isn't it? I think if people listened and stayed at home then we wouldn't be here. I think you've just got to be extra vigilant and careful and that. But people, of course, will want to go to work and provide that key service. But people had stayed at home and listened and didn't do what they did then we wouldn't be here." PEOPLE WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOOKMAKER, SHANE DURRANT, SAYING: "I don't know, it's 50/50. Going back into lockdown might be a good thing to get rid of the virus. But on the other hand a lot businesses are going to suffer, definitely, like I work in a bookmaker and we're only just starting to open again and get the customers back and now go back into lockdown will severely hurt. But I think a lot of places in Leicester, the customers were there before, you get through it, they'll come back and it's great city, and everything will carry on." SIGN READING (English) "GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK IN LEICESTER" (SOUNDBITE) (English) PAWN BROKER, ARUN MORTALA SAYING: "When lockdown was lifted two weeks back the way the people are coming, you know, on the streets and everything I was expecting that this was going to happen. There's no social distance, no people like wearing any of their face masks, or something like that. No protection, like not even the police trying to protect the people, like trying to do the guidelines, like 'guys, please, move aside' or keep the distance or something. I was expecting that in a week or two weeks for sure it's going to happen." EMPTY STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) FULL TIME MOTHER, BARBARA MIKULVA, SAYING: "If they need to go into lockdown, then I think they should because of this rise in people getting COVID-19, and people should stay home if it's going to save lives." SIGN READING (English) "WE MISSED YOU" VARIOUS OF MAN SANITISING BIN NEWSPAPER HEADLINES VARIOUS OF FRONT PAGE OF LEICESTER MERCURY VARIOUS OF THE FRONT PAGE OF THE SUN FRONT PAGE OF THE DAILY MAIL
- Embargoed: 14th July 2020 09:56
- Keywords: Leicester lockdown coronavirus flare up of coronavirus
- Location: LEICESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LEICESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKK9ZK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The English city of Leicester will from Tuesday (June 30) go back into a stricter two week lockdown because its COVID-19 infection rate is much higher than anywhere else in the country.
Health Secretary, Matt Hancock on Monday (June 29) said that Leicester accounted for around 10% of all positive cases in the country over the past week, and that the seven-day infection rate there was 135 cases per 100,000 people, three times higher than the next highest city.
Non-essential shops will shut from six o'clock Monday, schools will close for most pupils on Thursday and travel to, from or within the city will be restricted.
The loosening of restrictions for pubs and restaurants in England on Saturday (July 4) will also not be taking place there.
The health secretary said measures would be enforced by police "in some cases".
(Production: Ben Makori, Natalie Thomas)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None