- Title: Timeline of Syrian conflict from 2019-2020
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: Israel and Russia will work together on securing an exit of foreign forces from Syria, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu annouced on March 3 after visiting Moscow to advocate against the Iranian presence in the country. As Syrian President Bashar al-Assad beats back an eight-year-old insurgency, Israel worries that his reinforcements from Iran and the Tehran-backed Lebanese militia Hezbollah will stay on to form a new front against it. MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 27, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU APPROACHING RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, NETANYAHU AND PUTIN SHAKING HANDS CAMERAMAN TALKS IN PROGRESS PUTIN SPEAKING NETANYAHU SPEAKING, PUTIN LISTENING PUTIN PUTIN AND NETANYAHU SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Assad Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump IS Iran Iranian supreme leader Islamic State Israel Russia Syria Trump Turkey UN US troops Vladimir Putin conflict insurgency rebels refugees
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00ECKB34G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
The European Union and the United Nations will co-chair the fourth Syrian donor conference in Brussels on Tuesday (June 30), aimed at garnering support for victims of the country's nine-year war and surrounding countries hosting refugees.
The event will bring together, through video conference, around 80 delegates from neighbouring countries, partner countries, EU member states and international organisations.
Apart from raising funds, the EU said it hoped to get wide-ranging support for U.N.-led efforts to reach a sustained ceasefire.
As the Syrian war enters its 10th year, 6 million people are displaced outside Syria and 11 million are in need of humanitarian help across the country.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell will co-chair the ministerial section of the conference with U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
(Production: Paul Warren, Vanessa Romeo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None