- Title: Timeline of Syrian conflict from 2019-2020
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: Large crowds of migrants scrambled towards a border crossing near Turkey's Edirne on February 29, in an attempt to reach Europe days after an official said the borders had been thrown open. EDIRNE, TURKEY (FILE - FEBRUARY 29, 2020) (REUTERS) LARGE CROWD OF MIGRANTS, INCLUDING YOUNG CHILDREN, RUSHING OVER FENCE TOWARDS BORDER, SOME SHOUTING AND HELPING PEOPLE THROUGH VARIOUS MIGRANTS RUNNING AND WALKING GROUPS OF MIGRANTS INCLUDING FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN SITTING ON GROUND Greek police fired tear gas at groups of stone-throwing migrants gathered at the border with Turkey. Greek police forces stepped up security at the border as the crisis in Syria shifted onto the European Union's doorstep. EDIRNE, TURKEY (FILE - FEBRUARY 29, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS RUNNING FROM CLOUDS OF TEAR GAS BEING FIRED
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Assad Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump IS Iran Iranian supreme leader Islamic State Israel Russia Syria Trump Turkey UN US troops Vladimir Putin conflict insurgency rebels refugees
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA01SCKB34G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
The European Union and the United Nations will co-chair the fourth Syrian donor conference in Brussels on Tuesday (June 30), aimed at garnering support for victims of the country's nine-year war and surrounding countries hosting refugees.
The event will bring together, through video conference, around 80 delegates from neighbouring countries, partner countries, EU member states and international organisations.
Apart from raising funds, the EU said it hoped to get wide-ranging support for U.N.-led efforts to reach a sustained ceasefire.
As the Syrian war enters its 10th year, 6 million people are displaced outside Syria and 11 million are in need of humanitarian help across the country.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell will co-chair the ministerial section of the conference with U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
(Production: Paul Warren, Vanessa Romeo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None