- Title: Timeline of Syrian conflict from 2019-2020
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: Russia and Turkey failed to reach an agreement at talks in Moscow in February aimed at easing tensions over the Syrian province of Idlib. MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 19, 2020) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV AND JORDANIAN FOREIGN MINISTER AYMAN SAFADI WALKING TO PODIUMS AFTER MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "As for the results of the Russian-Turkish talks held in Moscow yesterday and the day before yesterday - yes, we failed to reach a final decision on how to implement the agreements between Presidents Putin and Erdogan regarding Idlib. We did not make any new demands, we believe it is necessary to implement what our leaders agreed about." For the first time in eight years, Aleppo's civilian airport opened to receive its first passenger plane on February 10, a flight coming in from Damascus. ALEPPO, SYRIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 19, 2020) (REUTERS) MILITARY PLANES PERFORMING A FLYOVER, PLANE ON TARMAC PEOPLE HOLDING SYRIAN FLAGS AND PICTURES OF PRESIDENT BASHAR AL-ASSAD PEOPLE ON STEPS LEADING TO PLANE SECURITY STANDING / SIGN READING (Arabic and English): ''WELCOME TO ALEPPO'' PASSENGERS IN AIRPORT TERMINAL FLIGHT INFORMATION SCREEN SHOWING FLIGHT TIMES PASSENGERS CHECKING IN EXTERIOR OF ALEPPO AIRPORT, PLANE ON TARMAC
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Assad Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump IS Iran Iranian supreme leader Islamic State Israel Russia Syria Trump Turkey UN US troops Vladimir Putin conflict insurgency rebels refugees
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA01PCKB34G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
The European Union and the United Nations will co-chair the fourth Syrian donor conference in Brussels on Tuesday (June 30), aimed at garnering support for victims of the country's nine-year war and surrounding countries hosting refugees.
The event will bring together, through video conference, around 80 delegates from neighbouring countries, partner countries, EU member states and international organisations.
Apart from raising funds, the EU said it hoped to get wide-ranging support for U.N.-led efforts to reach a sustained ceasefire.
As the Syrian war enters its 10th year, 6 million people are displaced outside Syria and 11 million are in need of humanitarian help across the country.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell will co-chair the ministerial section of the conference with U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
(Production: Paul Warren, Vanessa Romeo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None