- Title: BioNTech and Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine shows potential in human trial
- Date: 1st July 2020
- Summary: MAINZ, GERMANY (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF GERMAN BIOTECH COMPANY BIONTECH COMPANY LOGO ON SIGN READING (German): 'OFFICE AND LAB BUILDING', SHOWING STREET ADDRESS AS 'GOLD MINE 12' VARIOUS COMPANY EXTERIORS
- Embargoed: 15th July 2020 15:37
- Keywords: BioNtech COVID-19 Pfizer human trials treatment vaccine
- Location: MAINZ, GERMANY / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: MAINZ, GERMANY / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKZ8FPP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A COVID-19 vaccine developed by German biotech firm BioNTech and U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has shown potential and was found to be well tolerated in early-stage human trials, the companies said on Wednesday (July 01).
The drug is one of 17 being tested on humans in a frantic global race to find a vaccine the world is counting on to end a pandemic that has infected 10.5 million people and killed more than half a million so far.
No COVID-19 vaccine has yet been approved for commercial use.
The pharmaceutical industry is eager to launch larger follow-up trials to see how vaccinated participants react to real infections over longer periods.
BioNTech and Pfizer will now pick the most promising of four experimental vaccines for a trial involving up to 30,000 healthy participants, which is likely to begin in the United States and Europe in late July, if it gets the regulatory green light.
If it eventually gets marketing approval, the companies are gearing up to make up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and another 1.2 billion doses by the end of 2021 at sites in Germany and the United States.
Results from early-stage testing of BioNTech's three other potential vaccines have yet to be published.
(Production: Matthias Baehr)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None