- Title: EU must become entity to compete with world's super powers - Germany's Maas
- Date: 1st July 2020
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 1, 2020) (CORONAPOOL) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER HEIKO MAAS AND CROATIAN COUNTERPART GRLIÄ† RADMAN ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER, HEIKO MAAS, SAYING: "Above all we want to make sure that Europe becomes an entity and is seen as such in a world of competing super powers with the United States, Russia and China. In future, we will only be able to claim our values and interests if we act as Europeans. If we don't do that we will become the plaything of others. We want to do something against that over the next six months." RADMAN AND MAAS LISTENING TO REPORTER'S QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER, HEIKO MAAS, SAYING: "We can see that expectations are high and we are telling everyone that we probably won't be able to solve all of Europe's problems over the next six months. But we want to solve the most pressing problems which are the basis for Europe to quickly get out of the economic slump we got into because of the coronavirus pandemic. It must happen in solidarity and we must not leave anyone behind. In Europe we are dependent on everyone doing well because that's the only way to profit from one another."
- Embargoed: 15th July 2020 14:42
- Keywords: croatia eu presidency german foreign minister heiko maas grliÄ‡ radman
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CKZ8E2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union must speak with one voice to compete with the world's "super powers United States, Russia and China," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Wednesday (July 1) as Germany took over the rotating six month EU presidency.
Speaking alongside the foreign minister of Croatia whose country presided the EU until June 30, Maas told reporters that Europe would only be able to claim its "values and interests if we act as Europeans. If we don't do that we will become the plaything of others."
An overnight illumination of Berlin's landmark, the Brandenburg Gate marked the beginning of Germany's EU presidency.
The slogan "Together for Europe's Recovery" in German, English and French was projected onto Brandenburg Gate around midnight and a flag dedicated to the German presidency was later raised outside Berlin's foreign ministry.
(Production: Fabrizio Bensch, Oliver Barth, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None