- Title: International flights return to the Dominican Republic after extended lockdown
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (JULY 01, 2020) (REUTERS) INTERIOR HALL OF LAS AMERICAS AIRPORT PEOPLE IN LINE AT CHECK-IN PERSON WITH FACE MASK VARIOUS OF CHECK-IN COUNTERS AIRLINE ARRIVALS ON SCREEN WATER SPRAYING OVER JETBLUE AIRPLANE AIRPLANE TAXIING NEWS CONFERENCE WITH OFFICIALS FROM AIRPORT MANAGEMENT COMPANY, AERODOM (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR GENERAL OF AERODOM, MONIKA INFANTE, SAYING: "After four very difficult months and much uncertainty we'll be officially starting our commercial activities for everyone at AERODOM as well as all our partners and the airport community. This is a significant moment and we've been waiting a long time to be able to once again do what we like to do: receiving and seeing off our passengers." AERODOM OFFICIAL AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AERODOM AIRPORT DIRECTOR, EUGENIO PEREZ LUENGO, SAYING: "This protocol - the result of weeks of great effort and agreement among all actors in the industry - will allow us to bring back airport operations in a safe, fast, reliable and sustainable way in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. We've established measures that conform to the security and protection requirements which will allow us to protect passengers, crew, employees and visitors from infection in our airports." AIRPLANE AT GATE THERMAL IMAGING DEVICE MILITARY PERSONNEL CHECKING PERSON'S TEMPERATURE VARIOUS OF PASSENGERS AT CUSTOMS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AIRLINE PASSENGER, HENRY OMAR JOSEPH, SAYING: "I have four children here and two over there (U.S.), so six. And, this is the only vacation I have this year, so I have to take advantage of it." FAMILY LEAVING AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) UNIDENTIFIED AIRLINE PASSENGER, SAYING: "I left for a 12 day vacation and I was stuck for three months and about 15 days. And, I was desperate and crying. Look at how I'm crying, because I really missed my children."
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 14:26
- Keywords: Dominican Republic air airlines airport coronavirus lockdown pandemic quarantine travel
- Location: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- City: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- Country: Dominican Republic
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL4AVYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Dominican Republic's ban on international travel to combat the spread of the coronavirus in the Caribbean country ended on Wednesday (July 1) with the arrival of flights from the United States.
16 flights landed at Santo Domingo's Las Americas international airport on Wednesday and 16 departed according to local media. Some 600 departures by 15 airlines are expected during the month of July from Las Americas.
The President of the Dominican Republic, Danilo Medina, announced on March 17 that the country's land, sea and air borders would remain closed in an effort to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
As of Wednesday the Dominican Republic has registered 33,387 coronavirus cases and 754 deaths according to the government.
(Production: Jesus Frias, Patrick Alwine)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None