- Title: Italy should compensate India in marine shooting dispute, arbitration court says
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PLAQUE READING (English): "MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS"
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 15:49
- Keywords: Enrica Lexie India Italian Marines Kerala Permanent Court of Arbitration fishermen
- Location: NEW DELHI/KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003CL4BDCF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Italy should compensate India for damages incurred by the shooting of two fishermen by Italian marines off the coast of India in 2012, the Permanent Court of Arbitration said on Thursday (July 2).
The court said it was up to India and Italy to decide the amount of compensation warranted in the so-called Enrica Lexie case, which has soured relations between the two countries in recent years.
The marines, part of a military team on anti-pirate duty protecting the Italian oil tanker Enrica Lexie in 2012, say they mistook Indian fishermen for pirates and fired warning shots which accidentally killed the two fishermen.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None