- Title: Timeline of how Jamal Khashoggi's death unfolded - part 1
- Date: 1st July 2020
- Summary: Saudi prosecutor visits Istanbul consulate where Khashoggi was killed ISTANBUL, TURKEY (FILE - OCTOBER 30, 2018) (REUTERS) SAUDI PROSECUTOR SAUD AL MOJEB GETTING OUT OF THE CAR AND ENTERING CONSULATE CARS CARRYING DELEGATES ARRIVING AT CONSULATE BUILDING ANOTHER SAUDI OFFICIAL GETTING OUT OF THE CAR AND ENTERING CONSULATE Khashoggi fiancee: Riyadh responsible for his murder, must explain LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - OCTOBER 29, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF JAMAL KHASHOGGI'S FIANCEE, HATICE CENGIZ, WIPING TEARS FROM HER EYES DURING MEMORIAL FOR KHASHOGGI CENGIZ STANDING UP TO DELIVER TRIBUTE
- Embargoed: 15th July 2020 19:32
- Keywords: Donald Trump Erdogan Hatice Cenciz Istanbul consulate Jamal Khashoggi Khashoggi fiancee Khashoggi killing King Salman Prince Mohammed bin Salman Saudi Arabia Saudi Crown Prince Saudi King Saudi consulate Saudi prosecutor Saud al Moteb Tayyip Erdogan Trump Turkey US president journalist murder
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00VCL00QX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Turkish court will on Friday (July 3) begin the trial on the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul nearly two years ago.
In the indictment, the prosecutor's office accused a close aid to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and a former deputy head of general intelligence of instigating Khashoggi's murder and named 18 suspects it said actually carried out the killing.
Khashoggi was a U.S. resident and critic of Mohammed bin Salman, the kingdom's de facto ruler. He was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, where he had gone to receive papers ahead of his wedding. His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building, and his remains have not been found.
The killing caused a global uproar, tarnishing the crown prince's image. The CIA and some Western governments have said they believe Prince Mohammed ordered the killing, but Saudi officials say he had no role.
Saudi Arabia sentenced five people to death and three more to jail terms totalling 24 years for the killing in December last year. The Saudi court dismissed charges against the remaining three of the 11 people that had been on trial, finding them not guilty.
Saudi Deputy Public Prosecutor and spokesman Shalaan al-Shalaan said the investigation showed the killing was "not premeditated" and occurred on the "spur of the moment."
(Production:Vanessa Romeo, Paul Warren, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None