- Title: Jeffrey Epstein friend Ghislaine Maxwell arrested in New Hampshire
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: BRADFORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNITED STATES (JULY 2, 2020) (REUTERS) BRADFORD, NH ROAD SIGN VARIOUS OF LOCKED GATE AT DRIVEWAY TO THE PROPERTY WHERE GHISLAINE MAXWELL MAY HAVE BEEN ARRESTED BY THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION VARIOUS OF ROAD LEADING TO PROPERTY WHERE MAXWELL MAY HAVE BEEN ARRESTED BRADFORD TOWN HALL EXTERIOR BRADFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 21:47
- Keywords: Bradford Ghislaine Maxwell Jeffrey Epstein New Hampshire child sex trafficking
- Location: BRADFORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNITED STATES
- City: BRADFORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002CL4BXVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Ghislaine Maxwell, the former girlfriend and longtime associate of the late disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, was arrested in New Hampshire on Thursday (July 2) on U.S. charges of luring underage girls so that Epstein could sexually abuse them.
The arrest of the British socialite is the latest twist in the mystery of Epstein, who went from a high school math teacher to high-flying lifestyle of private Caribbean islands and powerful connections that his victims say allowed him to abuse minors with impunity.
Maxwell, 58, was arrested in Bradford, New Hampshire, where she had been laying low since December, the FBI said.
Maxwell made a brief appearance by video from jail at a hearing in New Hampshire federal court, where a judge ordered her to face the criminal charges in New York. She did not enter a plea, and bail has not been determined.
She spoke briefly, answering "yes" when asked if she knew her rights. Her lawyer, Larry Vogelman, declined further comment on her behalf.
Prosecutors have said she was a flight risk and asked she be detained without bail.
She is charged with four criminal counts related to procuring and transporting minors for illegal sex acts and two of perjury, according to the indictment by federal prosecutors in New York.
Prosecutors said she faces up to 35 years in prison.
(Production: Bryan Snyder, Angela Moore)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None