- Title: French support PM Philippe after he resigned in Macron's cabinet reshuffle
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 23, 2018) (AGENCY POOL) VARIOUS OF MACRON AND PHILIPPE WALKING THROUGH INTERIOR MINISTRY CORRIDOR
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 11:48
- Keywords: Macron's cabinet reshuffle PM Philippe
- Location: PARIS AND JOINVILLE-LE-PONT, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND JOINVILLE-LE-PONT, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CL99S93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The French gave their support to outgoing prime minister Edouard Philippe on Friday (July 3) after he resigned as part of President Emmanuel Macron's government reshuffle.
Macron is taking a gamble by replacing Philippe, who is more popular than the president, political analysts say. The prime minister remained loyal during waves of unrest and rarely emerged from his boss' shadow.
Macron acted on a pledge to reinvent his administration and win back disillusioned voters ahead of a possible re-election bid in 2022.
Macron is reshaping his government as France grapples with the deepest economic depression since World War Two, a sharp downturn that will shrink the economy by about 11% in 2020 and reverse hard-fought gains on unemployment.
(Production: Lucien Libert, Yiming Woo, Thierry Chiarello)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None