- Title: Macron names Jean Castex as prime minister in government overhaul
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - DECEMBER 4, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF FRENCH PRIME MINISTERS OFFICE, HOTEL DE MATIGNON PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 28, 2020) (REUTERS) FRENCH FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 12:04
- Keywords: Edouard Philippe France Jean Castex Macron prime minister
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA004CL99T1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron on Friday (July 3) named Jean Castex, a top civil servant and local mayor who orchestrated France's exit from its coronavirus lockdown, as prime minister in a high-stakes cabinet reshuffle.
Castex will be tasked be forming the next government, the Elysee Palace said in a short statement. He replaces Edouard Philippe, who resigned earlier on Friday.
Castex served as France's "deconfinement" coordinator in the height of the new coronavirus crisis in the country.
He was also the interministerial delegate for the Olympic and Paralympic Games and assumed the role of social advisor during the mandate of former president Nicolas Sarkozy.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None