- Title: Indiaâ€™s Modi visits Ladakh amid border tensions with China
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: NIMU, LADAKH, INDIA (JULY 03, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (MUTE) STILL IMAGE OF INDIAN PRIME MINISTER, NARENDRA MODI WALKING WITH CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF GENERAL BIPIN RAWAT (L) AND INDIAN ARMY CHIEF MANOJ MUKUND NARAVANE (R) STILL IMAGE OF SOLDIERS SITTING STILL IMAGE OF MODI AND ARMY OFFICIALS VARIOUS STILL IMAGES OF SOLDIERS SITTING
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 06:15
- Keywords: China India Ladakh Leh Narendra Modi border tension clash soldiers killed
- Location: NIMU, LADAKH, INDIA
- City: NIMU, LADAKH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL997PR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi paid a surprise visit to India's Himalayan desert region of Ladakh on Friday (July 03) amid border tensions with China after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in clashes at a disputed site with Chinese troops.
Modi, who was accompanied by India's Chief of Defence Staff, Bipin Rawat and Army Chief, Manoj Mukund Naravane, reached Nimu, one of the forward locations in Ladakh, and interacted with army, air force and Indo-Tibetan Border Police personnel.
According to Indian officials, soldiers were hit with clubs studded with nails and stones during a brawl that erupted in the remote Galwan Valley, high in the mountains where India's Ladakh region borders the Aksai Chin region captured by China during the 1962 war.
India and China are attempting to cool tensions after the deadliest clash in at least five decades, with military and diplomatic-level talks taking place in an attempt to deescalate the confrontation.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None