- Title: DC protests pause momentarily for July 4th fireworks
- Date: 5th July 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 4, 2020) (REUTERS) FIREWORKS ABOVE THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT / PROTESTERS AND POLICE WHILE FIREWORKS GOING OFF PROTESTERS AND POLICE WHILE FIREWORKS GOING OFF FIREWORKS AROUND THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT PROTESTERS AND POLICE / FIREWORKS EXPLODING PROTESTERS AND POLICE WITH WASHINGTON MONUMENT AND FIREWORKS IN BACKGROUND FIREWORKS / PEOPLE WATCHING PEOPLE WATCHING FIREWORKS VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS AROUND THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT PEOPLE WATCHING FIREWORKS IN DISTANCE
- Embargoed: 19th July 2020 03:05
- Keywords: 2020 Independence Day July 4th National Mall Trump fireworks police protest
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, USA
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, USA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLE8YTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters, who had clashed moments earlier, took a moment of pause during the Independence Day fireworks display near The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. on Saturday (July 4).
While some protesters still chanted, carried signs, and yelled at police officers, the crowd on the National Mall was mainly peaceful while the show was in progress.
Activist groups pledged to hold peaceful protests for reforms following the May killing of George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man who died after a white Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.
Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser had tried unsuccessfully, to dissuade the Trump administration from holding the fireworks display over the National Mall, as many U.S. states mark a record number of new COVID-19 cases.
(Production: Bob Mezan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None