- Title: Spanish law must protect us from aggression, says trans activist
- Date: 4th July 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JULY 4, 2020) (REUTERS) TRANS ACTIVISTS IN SOL SQUARE IN MADRID, CHANTING (Spanish): "TRANS LAW NOW" PLACARD READING (Spanish): "TRANS LAW NOW" PROTESTERS WAVING TRANS FLAGS AND CHANTING (Spanish): "TRANS LAW NOW" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TRANS ACTIVIST, ROSE, SAYING: "What we want is a law that protects us from people that attack us in our day to day for not having the same sex as our assigned sex." PLACARD READING (English): "BLACK TRANS LIVES MATTER" TRANS ACTIVIST CHEERING (Spanish): "WE ARE THE TRANS RESISTANCE" MINORS WEARING FACE MASKS AND SUN GLASSES SEATED ON TRANS FLAG MINORS WEARING FACE MASK AND SUN GLASSES AT DEMO NON BINARY CHILD OF ACTIVIST AIDA CHACON HOLDING DOLL ACTIVIST AIDA CHACON CLAPPING NEXT TO HER CHILD (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MOTHER OF NON BINARY CHILD, AIDA CHACON, SAYING: "They are too young and they are not aware of the difficulties that they will have to face. I think it is very important to fight because they are going to have much more difficulties than the rest because of how laws are. It is tough, of course it is tough to know that I will always have to keep fighting for them." CLOSE OF PROTESTER WEARING A FACE MASK READING: (Spanish): "TRANS PRIDE" PROTESTERS CLAPPING PLACARD WITH TRANS COLOURS PROTESTERS WAVING PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD READING (Spanish): "TRANS LAW NOW" CLOSE UP OF PROTESTER WEARING MASK VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING THEIR FIST UP IN THE AIR AND CHANTING PROTESTS IN PROGRESS PROTESTERS HOLDING TRANS FLAG PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD READING (Spanish): "I'M A PROUD FATHER. YOU CANNOT PLAY WITH MY DAUGHTER'S RIGHTS" PROTESTERS CHANTING (Spanish): "MY FAMILY IS COOLER BECAUSE IT HAS A TRANS CHILD" SHADOWS OF PROTESTERS SEEN OVER TRANS FLAG
- Embargoed: 18th July 2020 20:35
- Keywords: gay pride protest transgender activism transgender rights
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLE8Q4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Transgender activists and supporters ignored soaring temperatures in Madrid on Saturday (July 4) as they demonstrated to raise awareness of the discrimination they face in everyday life.
Although the annual pride parade has been postponed due to COVID-19, protesters wearing face masks and waving coloured transgender flags gathered to call for the Socialist-Unidas Podemos government to legislate against transgender discrimination.
According to Spain's Lesbian, Gay, Trans and Bisexual Federation (FELGTB), around 70% of transgender people have suffered discrimination when they use the health care system in Spain.
Aida Chacon, mother of a non-binary child, said her child is too young to understand the challenges that they will face in the future.
"They are too young and they are not aware of the difficulties that will have to face. I think it is very important to fight because they are going to have much more difficulties than the rest," she said.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None