- Title: Exiled Tibetans in India protest Hong Kong's new security law
- Date: 4th July 2020
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (JULY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) RIOT POLICE FIRING PEPPER PELLETS AT PROTESTERS, JOURNALISTS AND FIRST-AIDERS VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE PINNING PROTESTER DOWN RIOT POLICE FIRING PEPPER PELLETS RIOT POLICE RUNNING UP ESCALATOR INTO TIMES SQUARE SHOPPING MALL PROTESTERS DIGGING UP BRICKS AND PLACING ONTO STREET VARIOUS OF BURNING ITEMS ON ROAD PLACARDS LEFT ON FLOOR READING (CHINESE): "KEEP UP THE FIVE DEMANDS, REVOLT AGAINST THE NATIONAL SECURITY TERROR LAW
- Embargoed: 18th July 2020 10:28
- Keywords: China Exiled Tibetans Hong Kong India protests
- Location: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLE86DR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Exiled Tibetans in India's northern hill town of Dharamsala on Saturday (July 4) took to the streets to condemn the passing of a new national security law in Hong Kong.
Protesters with posters and "I stand with Hong Kong", "Hong Kong is not China" banners burnt documents containing articles of the law as they showed solidarity for the people of Hong Kong.
"This law is nothing but draconian totalitarian law imposed on people of Hong Kong, which jeopardizes and destroys the basic fundamental rights of people of Hong Kong as well as the very idea of democracy," said Director at Students for a Free Tibet organization, Rinzin.
The law, which critics say is aimed at snuffing out dissent, punishes crimes of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, with up to life in prison, will see mainland security agencies in Hong Kong for the first time and allow for extradition to the mainland for trial.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None