- Title: Catalonia curbs movement of 200,000 people after new coronavirus outbreak
- Date: 4th July 2020
- Summary: LLEIDA, SPAIN (JULY 4, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE VAN, POLICE OFFICERS AT CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS TALKING TO DRIVERS CARS QUEUING AT CHECK POINT POLICE CHECK POINT POLICE OFFICER STANDING AT CHECK POINT POLICE OFFICER SIGN ON STREET READING (Catalan): "POLICE CONTROL" EXTERIOR OF LLEIDA'S UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL MAN ENTERING HOSPITAL EXTERIOR OF EMERGENCY UNIT / AMBULANCES PARKED OUTSIDE EMERGENCY UNIT ENTRANCE HEALTHCARE WORKER WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR STANDING IN EMERGENCY UNIT ENTRANCE AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT HOSPITAL HEALTHCARE WORKER LEAVING HOSPITAL AND PUSHING A STRETCHER HEALTHCARE WORKER WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK MOVING A PATIENT ON A STRETCHER HEALTHCARE WORKER WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR MOVING A STRETCHER AND ENTERING HOSPITAL HEALTHCARE WORKER WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK DISINFECTING A STRETCHER VARIOUS OF HEALTHCARE WORKER WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR PUSHING A PATIENT ON A STRETCHER VARIOUS OF INFLATABLE FIELD HOSPITAL PLACED NEXT TO LLEIDA'S UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF PLAYGROUND CLOSED BY POLICE / POLICE CORDON TAPE ON EQUIPMENT
- Embargoed: 18th July 2020 16:32
- Keywords: Lleida Spain coronavirus lockdown restrictions
- Location: LLEIDA, SPAIN
- City: LLEIDA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLE8NRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's north-eastern region of Catalonia enforced a new lockdown on more than 200,000 people on Saturday (July 4), after several new outbreaks of the coronavirus were detected.
Residents in Segria, which includes the city of Lleida, will not be able to leave the area from 12 noon (1000 GMT) on Saturday, but will not be confined to their homes as was the case in Spain's original strict lockdown in March.
"We have decided to confine Segria due to data that confirms too significant a growth in the number of COVID-19 infections," Catalan regional president Quim Torra told a news briefing.
Regional health ministry data showed there were 3,706 cases in the Lleida region on Friday, up from 3,551 the previous day.
Movement for work will be permitted, but from Tuesday workers entering or leaving the area will have to present a certificate from their employer.
Spain has registered 205,545 coronavirus cases and 28,385 deaths, making it one of the worst affected countries in Europe.
(Production: Luis Felipe Castilleja, Jordi Rubio, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None