- Title: Croatia's ruling HDZ wins parliamentary vote, majority within reach
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF SUPPORTERS AND PLENKOVIC SINGING A SONG TO CROATIA, APPLAUDING, WAVING FLAGS, CHEERING
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 00:12
- Keywords: Croatian Democratic Union HDZ leader Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic Social Democrats
- Location: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- City: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003CLJ751J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Croatia's ruling centre-right Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) convincingly won a parliamentary election on Sunday, held at a time of rising coronavirus infections and a sharp economic downturn due to the pandemic.
The official results after around 60% of votes were counted gave the HDZ 68 seats in the 151-seat parliament, while its top opponent, the Social Democrats (SDP) and its small allies, secured 43 seats.
Nationalist and eurosceptic bloc Domovinski Pokret (Homeland Movement), led by popular singer Miroslav Skoro, came third with 15 seats followed by the conservative Most (Bridge) party with eight seats and leftist Mozemo (We can) with six seats.
The HDZ will now seek partners to form yet another ruling coalition which analysts believe should not be too difficult given their strong performance.
The HDZ leader and incumbent Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said the victory brought with it an obligation to work hard.
The new government will have an uphill task to keep a grip on the coronavirus while trying to restore the economy, which is expected to shrink about 10 percent this year. Tourism revenues are forecast to slump 70 percent.
Croatia has reported a relatively small number of COVID-19 infections - a little over 3,000 cases and some 100 deaths so far - but infections have accelerated in the past two weeks, with the daily number of new cases peaking at about 80.
(Production: Fedja Grulovic, Branko Filipovic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.