- Title: Mass prayers resume in Bali, tourists to return at month's end
- Date: 5th July 2020
- Summary: PEOPLE PRAYING A WOMAN PRAYING WITH EYES CLOSED HAND ON CHEST
- Embargoed: 19th July 2020 10:38
- Keywords: Bali health protocol life pandemic prayer tourism
- Location: BALI, INDONESIA
- City: BALI, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLJ6VK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indonesia's holiday and Hindu island Bali resumed mass prayers on Sunday (July 5) for the first time in months as it slowly prepared to welcome back tourists.
People dressed in traditional clothes and bearing offerings gathered at the Besakih Temple, with many wearing masks and washing hands to help minimize the spread of coronavirus. More than a thousand attended the ritual to thank the gods for handling the COVID-19 pandemic and invoking blessings for the new normal life in Bali.
Bali's provincial secretary Dewa Made Indra said tourism would be re-opened gradually in three phases, starting with welcoming domestic tourists at the end of July, leading up to September when Bali hopes to open its doors to international tourist arrivals.
On Saturday (July 4), the health ministry spokesman said Indonesia had 1,447 new infections, bringing the total number to 62,142 and that 53 more deaths had been reported, bringing that total to 3,089. Bali now has 1,797 total confirmed cases with 937 recovered patients and 18 deaths due to the virus.
(Production: Sultan Anshori, Heru Asprihanto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.