- Title: Thousands attend Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney
- Date: 5th July 2020
- Summary: PROTEST ORGANISERS HOLDING BANNER WITH TANE CHATFIELD'S PHOTO
- Embargoed: 19th July 2020 09:19
- Keywords: Australia BLM Black Lives Matter George Floyd Indigenous Stop Back Deaths in Custody Sydney
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Race Relations / Ethnic Issues,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLJ6TZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of protesters gathered in Sydney on Sunday (July 5), shouting slogans in support of the Black Lives Matter movement and aiming to raise awareness of the mistreatment of indigenous people in police custody.
The protest held in Sydney's Domain started with an Indigenous smoking ceremony that also cleansed the relatives of people that had died in police custody.
Numerous parents spoke of their children being killed by police while in custody including Leetona Dungay, whose son David Dungay Jnr, died in Sydney's Long Bay Jail in 2015 after being held down by correctional service officers, despite pleading that he could not breathe.
Despite representing just over three percent of Australia's population, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people make up 28 percent of the prison population, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. In the Northern Territory(NT) , 84 percent of prison inmates are Indigenous, and make up 25 percent of the NT's population.
(Production: Stefica Nicol Bikes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.